We should take 3 weeks holiday each year!!

On Saturday, I returned from my first holiday in 4 years!  It was a pleasant break from the everyday routine of working from home,  as I visited with friends and relatives in the warmer climes of Natal.  I seem to have also been lucky to have missed a pretty wet and...

Are you a Solopreneur?

I get caught up talking about retirement not only in my work but often in social settings too.  There are two things I hear everywhere –  one is concern over the money lasting, the other is the fact that most of us do not want to stop working because we have...

My Perfect Retirement Day

It is a public holiday here in South Africa and I don’t really want to spend the day at my computer, so I am going to throw it out to you, my readers!!   I was triggered by something I watched yesterday on the Sixty&Me site, into remembering a coaching exercise I...

Finding Meaning in Retirement

Last weekend I was invited to speak at a church in my local neighbourhood.  I use their facilities for my workshops.  Not sure what age the group would be, I decided to talk on restoring balance in your life after retirement.  In the question time, someone asked me if...

What happened to the Present?

Last week I was with a friend from University and she was struggling to remember a name.  I realised I regularly experience this problem.  Yes, I know, a senior moment, we all have them!  But they are happening more regularly, so I have given this some thought....

Retirement is different for Boomers

Last week I was interviewed for a South African woman’s magazine on the topic of starting your own business in retirement.  I was reminded during the interview of my frustration with the word retirement, for me it conjures up pictures of old people sitting around...

Make Retirement Work for You

MAKE RETIREMENT WORK FOR YOU” Workshop with Hilary Henderson 6% of South Africans have sufficient retirement capital to be able to maintain their current lifestyle when they retire. That leaves 94% having to either drastically cut their expenditure, or find a way to...

Can walking lengthen your life?

As I write, I am just home after my morning walk with the dogs in Newlands forest at the foot of Table Mountain.  Since the Autumn solstice, the morning walks are becoming crisper and bracing as we head for winter.  Why would I be sharing that with you?  Well, in...